Monday, February 11, 2013

Step one: The Pantry

The first thing we did when we decided to go Paleo was throw away everything in our house that wasn't within our new guidelines.  Well, actually, the first thing we did was have one last week of awful, carb-packed food, including several nights of boxed mac and cheese.  Then we felt crappy and had even more motivation to clean out the pantry.

Oh how I wish I had before pictures!  Well, I kind of do.  Here is our pantry taken just after I re-organized it to look pretty about a year ago.  But of course, it's not what's on the outside, but the inside that matters.  Here, it's packed full - white and wheat flour, white and brown sugars, rice, cereal, pasta, cookies, crackers, brownie mixes and packaged foods.



Now here's the after:

Paleo Pantry


Cooking items include olive, coconut, sesame and walnut oil, balsamic, apple cider and white vinegar, coconut aminos (replaces soy sauce), cooking wine, honey and grade B maple syrup.  Please note: I realize that Paleo espouses the use of raw honey.  Since that costs about 2 - 3x the amount of processed honey and we use honey constantly, we haven't made that change yet.  Maybe once Mike is a doctor...

Paleo Pantry
Paleo Pantry

There are still opportunities to bake in Paleo!  But you'll definitely need almond meal, almond flour, coconut flour, possibly coconut sugar (or palm or date sugar), salt, cocoa, baking soda, almond butter and coconut milk.

Paleo Pantry


And of course the requisite raw nuts and non-refridgerated fruits and veggies.

Paleo Pantry

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that all of your jars are glass, and how organized your pantry is! Unfortunately, I am unable to invest this much into the reorganization of my Paleo pantry, so I am going with the OXO Good Grips containers for now. They are plastic, but BPA free. Maybe I can slowly start converting to glass soon and resell these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Krys! Those glass containers are from Ikea, and actually are pretty cheap (cheaper than Oxo when I was shopping). The largest ones were $20, but you don't really need that size for a Paleo pantry. The rest ranged from $3 - $12 each. My complete pantry makeover cost about $350, but I did that before the Paelo days when there were a LOT more dried goods. Now, I'd estimate it would cost about $150.

      Delete